Be Car Care Aware About: Air Filters
With National Car Care Month taking place in April, it’s as good a time as any to learn more about certain vehicle components, including your air filter! Here are some facts about air filters to consider this month:
• Much controversy surrounds how often an air filter should actually be replaced…
• Some repair facilities will try and get you to buy one with every oil change,
• While some have believe that it rarely needs changing
• NEITHER of these are correct!
• Changing the filter too frequently adds NO extra benefit, while not changing it at all can CAUSE problems.
• You can see in your owner’s manual EXACTLY how often they recommend that you change it,
• OR you can have a repair facility that you TRUST examine it and give you their EXPERT opinion.
• A good rule of thumb is to replace it every 10,000 miles or every 3rd or 4th oil change,
• But if you drive in dusty or smoggy conditions then it will require replacement more frequently
• Based upon past numbers, on average 16% of vehicles have had a dirty air filter in need of replacement
• It is a good idea to have your vehicle fully inspected TWICE a year, once for summer and once for winter, by a reputable shop.
If you have any questions about air filters or any other component in your vehicle, be sure to contact us to schedule an appointment with our ASE-certified technicians!